And That’s Why He’s the Vanimal…

20 Apr

Well it was a familiar story on Thursday night for the Phillies.

The game was nice and tight all the way through, and again the Phillies pitching was brilliant.  Vance Worley threw 7 scoreless innings, and a career high 11 strikeouts.  Vance, like Lee the night before had to pitch at the top of his game when runs are coming at a minimum.

Again the Phillies offense was bleak.  After loading the bases in the first and only walking away with one run, it wasn’t until the 9th that they would score again on a passed ball.

But alas, A win is a win.

It’s pretty nice to be at Petco Park. The Phillies have won 12 straight games here, dating to 2008, so it’s nice to have a 4 game series here when the offense is struggling so much.

Side Notes -

John Mayberry Jr.  - Oh my.  This kid needs a few days off, or to be sent down to AAA to figure it out.

Jonathan Papelbon - Pap is now a perfect 4 for 4 in save opportunities. He’s likely going to be a discussion point all season as he was the Phillies biggest offseason move, when offense really needed to be addressed.

Keep up with me on Facebook, and Twitter, and soon my App will be available in the iTunes store.

About these ads

6 Responses to “And That’s Why He’s the Vanimal…”

1. Evan Schumacher April 20, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Reblogged this on California Phillies Phanatics and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

2. Evan Schumacher April 20, 2012 at 1:46 am #

was at the game, great game, great post

• Phanatic Addict April 20, 2012 at 2:17 am #

It was a bit of a lazy one. It’s kinda later here!

Glad to hear you had a good time!

• Evan Schumacher April 20, 2012 at 2:46 am #

I wish the phillies could have produced more runs out of that first inning, but nonetheless we got the W

• Phanatic Addict April 20, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Tell me about it.

3. mlblogsbarbward April 20, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Please clarify what you mean about Pap? If he wasn’t acquired, we’d be kinda stuck. Madson, as it turned out, would have been a real liability. Lidge would have been good but I understand that the Phils would be taking a crap shoot with him, no offense to him at all. I like Lidge but he’s been known to be iffy with his injuries and such. So, we have a solid closer. I like what I see from Pap overall. He’s a little loco but very amusing. So, in my humble opinion, Pap was a good aquisition. I’m trying to figure out why the offense is having problems. Is it the inconsistency of the lineup that’s constantly changing and so unlike Manuel’s MO from the past. Is that throwing them off? Are they trying to find their cohesiveness and rhythm? I hate to say this but I have reached the conclusion that money alone doesn’t buy a great team. It sure helps but there’s more to it than that. It’s attitude, cohesiveness and confidence. I think the cohesiveness and confidence are sorely lacking right now in the lineup. Baseball has a mental component as in every sport. Just my thoughts. What say you Phanatic? ( Perhaps I should have turned this into my own blog post… snicker snicker.)